Don’t let the name fool you, a marketing plan is NOT the same as a business plan.
A piece of your overall business plan, a marketing plan defines your idea clients and the steps that you will take in order to connect with them. Here are the five steps in creating an effective marketing plan:
1. Identify the need that your business will meet.
- Will you solve a problem?
- Make live easier?
- Create something new?
2. Define your ideal client (aka target market).
- Income Level
- What do they do/think/feel on a daily basis?
- Likes and Dislikes
3. Write your brand statement.
How will you meet the needs of your clients and out perform your competition?
4. Define your communication channels.
- Office (brick and mortar location)
- Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube
5. Determine how you will utilize your communication channels in order to reach your target market.
- Consider the channels that your target market will prefer.
- Determine the budget allowed to spend on paid advertising.
- Write down the specific steps that you will follow to reach your potential clients.
And go! Once you have a plan, make it happen. Follow through with the steps you’ve defined and monitor your progress, making adjustments where needed.